Thursday, March 15, 2012

Blissful bedroom

It took a couple of weeks longer than originally planned, but our February checklist is complete! We actually tweaked our schedule a little after realizing how intense the bedroom/closet organization is since those areas contain the most stuff. Check it out here or by clicking the plan tab above. Being flexible really helps when trying to complete a huge project like organizing your entire home without being too stressed by it.

February – March 15
Master bedroom
Master closet

To finish organizing our bedroom I finally rehung my painting so it is centered over our bed. It used to be centered until we added the changing table to the right and shifted everything else left. Rehanging the painting took 5 minutes and made a huge difference! I also made the bed, which always makes a bedroom look ten times better.


Before I could make the bed, I had to tackle the wrinkled bed skirt. I washed and ironed it. Then, I put it on the bed before it had a chance to re-wrinkle
. Last year I tried the same thing, but didn't get it put back on fast enough so the ironing was a waste.

I read somewhere recently that you can help keep a bed skirt in place by using bed skirt tacks to attach it to the box spring. While I was googling where to buy bed skirt tacks, I found a list of several ways to keep a bed skirt in place which included using safety pins. I decided to give that method a try since I already had some, making it FREE! I placed one on each corner and one in the middle of each side. So far it is working like a charm.


To finish off the bedroom, I mainly just had to put some things away, dust everything including the baseboards and door frames, and vacuum. It is amazing how much cleaner a room looks with clean carpet and baseboards. We had a couple of piles of "stuff" we went through. Most of wound up neatly put away in the closet or in the trash. All of the papers were moved to the guest bedroom where they belong. However, they aren't filed away yet because our files are full which is making our paperwork out of control. That's the next projected to tackle.

Now, on to the after pictures of our clean and organized bedroom. It is so relaxing to be in there now! I'm going to let you in on a storage secret. Since we are in an apartment and will obviously move again at some point, we saved our moving boxes from the last move. A lot of them are under this bed and the bed in our guest room. It keeps them out of the way and prevents our kitties from hiding under the beds!


Our bookshelves and changing table are staying nice and tidy. I even removed a few more things from the shelves. Also, our little one is long enough now that we moved his diapers below the top of the changing table.


Here's the baby's side of the room. The chest of drawers is also staying nice and tidy. The white thing on the crib is a cat net to keep kitties out. It also will keep Mr. Babycito in when he starts pulling up. It's not the prettiest thing, but it's very functional. And what little boy doesn't enjoy sleeping in a tent?! Since you can't use bumpers with a cat net, I decided to use the bumpers as a bed skirt. Once we make room in the guest bedroom, the glider is going to move in there. It doesn't get used very much where it is now that middle of the night feedings are a thing of the past. In it's place, we are going to put our new pretty hamper! I've still been using my pop up one from college and my husband uses a laundry basket. So, I'm very excited about this change!


Here are my favorite details from our beautiful bedroom.


1. Colorful boxes on my bedside table
2. A painting I made in college
2. My jewelry tray
4. Mr. Babycito's initial from one of my baby showers. It's hung over two small nails.
5. Flowers from my other baby shower and a teddy bear which disguises the baby monitor.

Next up on the schedule is:

March 15 – April
Guest bedroom
Guest closet

I'm pretty sure it will be the most challenging zone, as well as the most rewarding. I'll feel great if we have it finished by the end of April because it is going to be a lot of work.

Are you doing any spring cleaning? Do clean and organized spaces get you all excited too? I am absolutely loving our bedroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment