Saturday, February 18, 2012

Organize This: Nicole's entryway

I am going to start a new feature where you can send me a photo of a space you need help organizing and I will make suggestions. I'm calling it Organize This! If you have a space you need help organizing, send photos and information to me at organizey.dreams@gmail.com for a chance to be featured on my blog.

To start things off, here is Nicole's entry way.


Here is what she wrote: Dear Kat, I have been reading your blog! This is my catch all area. The tray (which is normally utilized for mail) has a tendency to catch other things too. Any suggestions? As I get my new apartment painted, I plan on attempting to get organized and rearranged. As I said my ideal function is kind of a catch all but mostly mail ends up here and we are really bad about going through it since most of our bills are paid online. The brown bag underneath is full of mail, the Christmas can is actually housing random cords and wire which I suppose could be put in the closet. There is a slightly chewed up umbrella and other random things that don't belong but get put up there after picking them up off the floor because Buck got to them.

Here's what I would do to organize this space...

I would start by going through everything and throwing away all of the junk mail and trash. I think the bucket of cords would make sense in the closet. I'd even go through those to see if they are really all things you might use again. I always seem to find cords and instructions that go to things I don't even have anymore!

A great habit to get into is going through the new mail right away or at least making time once a week. I used to be great at this, but need to get back in the habit. It seems like whenever I get behind and have a large stack of mail, 80% is actually junk that I could have thrown away immediately!


1. If you don't have time to read all your mail right away, you can at least sort things you want to read later by family member and hang them in something like this scroll wall mount letter holder from Target that can hang over the table. I especially like this one because it has hooks where you can hang things like keys or a dog leash so they don't get buried under mail.

2. A couple of boxes like this green tabletop file storage from Target or a basket with a lid could be tucked under the table to store mail and papers that need to be filed or other items. Lids are important because they will keep things safely away from Buck and prevent things from getting dusty! I think this green color will look great with the pink and white flowers if you keep those on the table.

3. Something like this green magazine file from Target would be a great place to keep magazines and catalogs that come in the mail that you want to look at when you have time.

4. One thing that really helps keep clutter under control is sorting mail and throwing away the junk as soon as you bring it home. Keeping something like this sway trash can from The Container Store near by makes it convenient to do this.

Once you have things organized, just spending a minute or two a day going through mail and other items you set here will help keep this area nice and tidy!

Happy organizing, Nicole! I can't wait to see how it turns out! Does anyone else have any tips for this space?

No comments:

Post a Comment