Monday, February 20, 2012

Twinkle twinkle little jewels

Over the weekend I tackled the bedroom and closet project of organizing my jewelry!

Here is the before picture of the jewelry I keep in the closet. This is the first thing you see when you open the closet door. The magnetic/bulletin board with hooks is perfect for hanging larger necklaces and bracelets. The necklaces hang from the hooks, and the bracelets hang from push pins on the cork board part.


A few random items including a lei, tags from clothes, and apron were hanging on it, so I threw them away or put them back where they belong. I also moved the necklaces around to be in a more convenient order. Plus, I hung up the necklaces and bracelets that had been left on the bookshelf and in other rooms. It's not a huge difference, but it definitely makes things a little neater. As a side note, the Arkansas cling is my husband's, not mine. Go Frogs!


The next part was to tackle the craziness on the bookshelf. I told you it was crazy! This shelf is now full of books, but that's a post for another day. On the left you can see we had a bunch of stacked up jewelry boxes, vitamin bottles, and my husband's dresser organizer. On the right we had my jewelry box buried under some random papers, a couple of candles, old perfumes, a tray with more jewelry and odds and ends, and some photos. Since I had a lot of jewelry left out all over the place, it was getting hard to find what I wanted to wear! Stacking things on top of my jewelry box definitely didn't help with putting things away either.


First, I gathered up all my jewelry and laid it out on the bed. Then, I organized it! I decided to take everything out of the cardboard jewelry boxes because it makes it hard to see what I have and takes up a lot more space. Things I wear a lot went in the top tray of my wooden jewelry box. Things I wear a little less went in the bottom of the jewelry box. And things I rarely wear went in the pink and brown box (my yummy red velvet bundt cake I got for Valentine's day this year came in it). As you can see, one of my kitties was fascinated by the process... oooh, shiny stringy things!


The black drawers stayed on the shelf. The vitamins went in the bathroom, while the candles went in a drawer in the guest bedroom with other candles. I threw away all of the perfumes except for one because most of them didn't smell right anymore and I rarely wear perfume. The photos went on a shelf where my photo albums now live. I'll talk more about that in the upcoming post about the bookshelves.

The organized jewelry went on the top of the chest of drawers now that the was room. The box went in the center, and I kept some larger jewelry that I wear a lot in the heart tray. It looks so much prettier when it isn't overflowing.


Here's a close up of the heart tray.


And here's a close up of the jewelry box. I also cleaned out all the dust with a damp cloth while I had it empty. I'm trying to do a better job of keeping it closed now!


And where did the little pink and brown box go? It's behind the white metal basket on the shelf below! So, it's out of sight, but conveniently located. I love how it utilizes the space back there.


So, that's how I organized my jewelry. I probably can get rid of some of the jewelry that I put in the pink and brown box, but I decided that would make such a small impact that it can wait a while. I didn't take a picture of it, but the jewelry inside it is separated into little clear plastic ziploc-type baggies. I found them at Hobby Lobby by the cash register. They help keep all the earrings together and necklaces tangle free.

How do you store your jewelry? Did you organize anything over the weekend?

1 comment: