Sunday, January 8, 2012

Utilizing closet space

I can cross an item off my de-cluttering list!

January
Living room
Dining room
Hall closet

First, here's a before picture of the hall closet. It's not bad, but I knew it could be better.


I was actually able to add more than what I removed due to just making better use of the space!

First, I took almost everything out. I got rid of a broken umbrella, extra hangers, a coat I haven't worn in over five years, and on old jacket that is too small. I also realized I still have a black pea coat that I thought I had given away and recently was wishing I still had... and it still fits! You've gotta love that new clothes feeling without spending a penny!

I was hoping to fit these games in the closet instead of having them out in the open under an end table since we don't use them very often and they aren't exactly decorative. Plus, before we know it Mr. Baby will be exploring them and putting dice in his mouth if they stay there.


I knew extra shelves would really help. Then I realized I had some in the top of our bedroom closet! I had used them in our old apartment, but there isn't enough vertical hanging space in our current master closet. So they were just lying around, waiting to be used!


Don't worry about my kitty, Sketch, in the above pic, we don't keep him in the closet! He just really dislikes closed doors and wanted to check out the closet while he had the chance. I think he approves.

The shelves fit perfectly next to our coats and jackets and were key to organizing the space. I used one shelf for my scarves, gloves etc., one for my husband's gloves, etc., three for games, and one for miscellaneous items. The umbrella fit perfectly in a side pocket of the shelves. By adding the shelves, I was not only able to add the games, but a cooler and folding chair fit too! I was amazed by how much more fit in what looked like a full closet and how quickly this project went!


Here's the project breakdown.
Total cost: $0 for me (I think the hanging shelves were originally around $15 at Bed Bath & Beyond)
Time spent: 25 minutes

Are you closets neat and organized or stuffed to the brim? Do organized closets matter to you or do you just shut the door?

1 comment: