Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Livable living room

We successfully completed all of our goals for January!

January
Living room
Dining room
Hall closet


Our living room wound up being a place for things that didn't get put away or didn't have a designated spot to be put away...yikes!

Here's the embarrassing before picture.


Here's how we tackled the living room. I started off by grabbing the fleece blankets (ours and the kittys') and throwing them in the wash. Next, I put away the easy to put away items that already had a place to go. I moved the photo albums from under the coffee table to the top of my closet so that our baby doesn't mess them up once he starts crawling. I also put the few books that were under there on the bookshelves. I gathered up all the magazines too... I have a plan for them.

With the coffee table cleared off, I thought about what made sense to store under it. I decided to put all the blankets on the left side, rolled up. Blankets are one of the things that never had a designated spot before! Then the race track toy fit perfectly on the right side so it's not in the middle of the floor when it's not being played with. To the side of the coffee table we have a bin of baby toys and and a couple of larger toys. It will be so nice when he has his own room someday and his toys can go in there.

I also dusted the bookshelves and put away some smaller items that were sitting in front of the books. A part and tools to fix my husband's guitar got put in the guitar case, extra Lego pieces and small toy cars got put into a metal Cars lunch box. Various other items got moved to places that made more sense.

To finish off this room, I gave the futon the makeover explained in my previous post. Here's the completed room. I would still like to change up what is stored on top of the bookshelves, but for now I'm calling this one finished! Can you tell my husband likes books? All of the ones on these shelves are his except for my four college yearbooks.

All we will have to do to baby proof this room now is add L brackets to the bookshelves, add a couple of outlet covers, and put up the sword leaning in the corner. Once he's actually moving around we might rethink what is on the bottom shelves too. We can't have him ripping up all of my husband's car magazines!

Now it's time to keep the momentum going! February is almost here which means it's time to tackle our master bedroom and closet!

How do you store toys? I can't believe how many can be accumulated in just 6 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment